Vermont’s 51st Green Up Day is Saturday, May 1, and volunteers are needed to pitch in to pick up trash along roadsides, in and near parks and other public places around town.
- Bags will be available inside the entry at the municipal offices and at Sunflower Market on Rt. 100.
- Two drop-off locations will be open May 1: the town garage on Guptil Road from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (near the Post Office) and Rodney’s Transfer Station on River Road near the Ice Center from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Please do not leave bags along roadsides as there is no pickup service.
Green-ing up is as easy as finding a spot to clean up and getting it done. There is an online signup to help coordinate efforts at tinyurl.com/WaterburyGreenUp2021. The signup is just a guide and not required. If the spot you choose is already cleaned when you arrive, just find another spot!
- TIRES: Any tires found during Green Up are accepted for free at either location. People maytake personal used tires toRodney's location to recycle for $4 each.
- REDEEMABLE bottles and cans: If possible, please bag returnable 5- and 15-cent bottles and cans separately from trash. A school group will redeem them. Drop off returnables at the Town Garage site. (Household returnables will be accepted as well.)
- PLEASE NO: Do not drop off household waste, hazardous waste, electronics or propane tanks.
GREEN UP TIPS
- Please be mindful of social distancing and wear a mask if you are near others. Masks are required at the drop-off locations.
- Dress for Green Up with work gloves, mud boots, and long pants help to avoid ticks near tall grass or brush. Be sure to check for ticks when you are done.
- Pick a location away from traffic if you have young children along. Neighborhoods, side streets, parks, trails are safe choices with kids.
- Watch out for trash that looks unusual or dangerous. Needles are a hazard and should be disposed of in trash (not recycling) in a sealed container. Report any sites that appear to have hazardous items.
- You may Green Up before May 1. Know that the drop-off locations will only be available on May 1. If you Green Up early, either dispose of your bags with your own trash or hang onto them to drop off on Green Up Day.
- More information is online at greenupvermont.org.